I’m sure if you are reading this and enjoy slinging a fly out onto the water you have heard of The Big Y Fly Company. Their fly offering is probably one of the largest I have ever seen. Everything from the Armored Car Beadhead to a Christmas Island Special.. they have it all. If you have ever been on their site you have probably clicked on Flies and you can easily bounce from fly to fly looking at the thousands of options. I’ve done this on countless occasions and it’s fun.. Just looking at flies.. BUT.. right below Flies on their website there is a section for GEAR.. and they have a fantastic offering of gear from Rods and reels to sunglasses and boats. It’s worth taking a look. And.. they have a large line of their own fly fishing gear and at prices that won’t break the bank like a lot of gear that’s out there right now.
Fly Rods – Big Y has four fly rod options
- The Big Y Nano Big Game Rod – A 9′ / 7wt / 4 piece IM 12 high modulus nano fly rod. Per their website – the filica nano material impregnated into the carbon fiber makes the rod both stronger and lighter. They have perfect balance, lightweight and have the cleanest and crispest actions. Snake guides, transparent blue finish and comes with a tube and sock. All for $199.95.
- Big Y Nano Fly Rod – Comes in 3wt/4wt/5wt and 6wt options. All rods are 4 piece and 9′ except for the 3wt which is an 8’4″. Same high modulus nano material like the Big Game Rod. Also at the same price point – $199.95.
- Big Y Nano Nymph Fly Rod – This is a 10′ / 3wt / 4 piece rod made from the same material as the previous two rods. This is a fast action rod. They made this rod a little stiffer than most nymph rods on the market to help get your flies out a little further.
- Big Y The Boss Fly Rod – This rod comes in 4wt/5wt and 6wt and all are 9′ 4 piece rods. Price on these is a little more than the other rods offered – $299.95. This rod is all Pacific Northwest made. The blanks are rolled, built and finished in Woodland, WA. Yep.. A local rod 100%. That’s a hard thing to come by anymore. This rod features Pac-Bay striping guides and hard chrome snake guides, rosewood reel seat with matte silver locking components, AAA reverse half wells cork and comes with a cordura rod tube and rod sock.
- ALL rods carry a lifetime warranty. What does that mean since everyone is using that term these days – It means call and let them know your rod is coming their way.. include a check for $50 and they will replace your broken rod with a rod of equal or greater value. Not bad if you ask me…..
The two Reel options from Big Y
- Big Y General Fly Reel – 5/6wt, 7/8wt and 9/10wt options available. Great reel for both the trout fisherman as well as being able to fish the salt water flats. This reel has a sealed drag system using a carbon disc. It’s machine but out of cold forged 6061-T6 Aluminum, oversized handles and drag knob, caged frame and includes a mesh reel pouch. I have this reel and it is 100% a workhorse. The drag could possibly stop a small steam locomotive. It’s impressive. The 5/6wt and 7/8wt are priced at $129.99 and the 9/10wt is $139.99. You can also pick up a spare spool for a fantastic price of $65.00. You honestly can’t go wrong. I love mine.
- Big Y Standard Fly Reel – Four options available on this reel. 3/4wt, 5/6wt, 7/8wt and 9/10wt. This reel is cut from 6061 aluminum and include precision needle bearings on a chrome alloy spindle which makes this thing smooth and handles great. Carbon disc drag and it comes with a neoprene pouch. And as their website states it is backed with their lifetime warranty, as long s you don’t intentionally break it they will take care of you. Can’t ask for more than that….
Moving on.. Next up is the huge Vests and Packs line-up from Big Y.. At eight different packs it far too extensive to write about each of them so here’s a quick peek into what they offer.
Big Y Day Sling – Priced at $44.95. Perfect size for a day on the water.
Big Y Minimalist Lumbar Pack – $29.95 – Designed to be worn as a chest or lumbar pack. It comes with neck and waist straps but the cool feature is it has wading belt loops on the back so you can wear directly on your wading belt.
Big Y Minimalist Pack – $19.95. Small check pack that gives you the ability to carry just the essentials that you will need for a day on the water. This pack will carry at least one fly box.. maybe a couple.
Big Y Minimalist Sling – $29.95. This is the smallest sling they offer but it has enough space to carry everything you would need including a fly box and a convenient place to carry a water bottle.
Big Y Sling – $54.95. Considerably higher priced sling compared to those listed so far but this is their lightest sling pack and has pockets and attachments to carry everything you need.. And the bonus.. this sling is made with waterproof fabric. Bonus !! So light and waterproof and still priced far below other sling and pack manufacturers.
Now we move out of the “sling and pack” types of bags to the larger vest style.
Big Y Solo Pack – $69.95. This thing has it all including a heavier nylon to make it more durable. The Solo Pack is a vest and backpack combo and you can see from the pictures below that it should be able to hold everything you would possibly need plus far more. This thing is cool and I might need to pick one up very soon.
Now a full blown traditional verst – The Big Y Venture Vest – $59.95. This is for those that fly fish and like the traditional look and feel of a vest. As like all their other packs this vest will hold whatever you need for a day on the stream or river. Numerous pockets and a mesh back help to keep you cool on hot days as well as a nice feature of hand warmer pockets to help out when you are standing in a freezing cold stream and your hands need a break. So this thing is great in any temperature.
And lastly.. The Deluxe Fishing Pack – $84.95. Features include – two main pockets on each side (one contains a removable fly patch), one chest pocket on each side, a back pack section and a hydro slot in the back pack, two coil zings, larger pockets, one additional zipper pocket on each side, multiple mesh pockets inside and out, and enough rings to attach every tool/accessory imaginable. Now that’s a great vest…
The last thing I want to go over is the Kabillion fly boxes Big Fly offers. No I am not going to list all of them but here are a few images and you get to visit their website (listed below) to see everything they offer. From the images below I think you can tell they carry of huge number of fly boxes… Whatever you want they probably have. Check them out!!
So that wraps up a quick overview of a few of the Big Y fly fishing items offered. I can tell you that I have been dealing with Amy at Big Y and she is truly one of the most responsive people I have worked with and full of useful information. If you haven’t checked out their website head over today and see what they are doing. BUT.. make sure to check out the gear before heading down the long and interesting path of the flies they offer.
As I typed that last paragraph I went to the Big Y Fly Company website and found something really cool.. HATCH CHARTS!! Tons of hatch charts for a lot of rivers and streams as well as lakes. A Match The Hatch chart and a Saltwater Fly Chart.. And lastly – links to commonly used flies in a number of states. Now that is a really cool page you need to visit. https://www.bigyflyco.com/HatchCharts.asp
Big Y Fly Company’s website is https://www.bigyflyco.com/
Check them out today. The amount of flies, gear and useful information is overwhelming.. It’s a great resource.